Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Immigrant Family


My father’s side of the family, Abran Ybarra Cordoba and Rumalda Gonzales Aguilar, immigrated to the United States from Mexico.  They immigrated during the wake of the war that was declared on November 20, 1910; the Mexican Revolution. Seeking a safer atmosphere to raise their children, the family decided to make the move to America, along with many more Mexicans.  Since the Chinese Exclusion Act was passed, which banned Chinese laborers from being imported into America, the need for labor was high.  Railroad companies were quick to swoop up the newly arrived Mexican immigrants, the company needed help laying new track lines in Texas, the family would help aid in the construction of the railways.  Prejudices against the Mexican people had still not waned from the Alamo and the U.S.  Mexico War.  The family was surrounded by crime and hateful acts; it was a very troubling and dangerous time.  They spoke Spanish and had a hard time assimilating to life in America.  I do not speak Spanish, however, my father's entire side of the family does, quite fluently in fact.  Knowing Spanish has never been a priority in my nuclear family.  All my brothers and me have taken Spanish in school ( I always did rather poorly in that subject). My grandmother and grandfather (my father's parents) are both devout Catholics.  They have gone to church every Sunday. I presume that they inherited their faith and traditions from their parents when they were young.  In fact, most of the Ybarra family is extremely Catholic. However, they didn't particularly absorb many traditions from Mexico. When I asked my father if his parents ever retained any Mexican traditions passed on from their parents he said, "No not really, other than making Tamales on Christmas and certain types of Mexican cuisine".

No comments:

Post a Comment